Saturday, May 17, 2014

It's our Anniversary!

Friday June 13th, 2007 is  a day I will always remember. David and I had plans to go see the newest Harry Potter movie and my mom was going to watch Christopher for a few hours.

I was sitting at my desk waiting for 5:00 to roll around when my dear friend Dolores handed me an overnight bag. Inside was a beautiful bouquet of roses and a note that said come outside to the main entrance and there would be a car waiting for me. Well, I looked around for my boss to make sure it was okay for me to leave early but there was no one in my department. I hoped that I wouldn't get in trouble but who would say no to a rose bouquet and a note from your handsome boyfriend?

Waiting for me in the parking lot were all my co-workers with huge smiles and tons of applause. Also a man holding a sign with my name on it outside of a limousine. I think my smile at the time was permanent for the next several hours.

He gave me an letter that said he was going to take me to a hotel and to let the front desk person know when I got there. We arrived at the hotel and I did just as he asked. The hotel desk clerk handed me an envelope which had a card key inside. The note said to go to the room and come in. Well at this time I had a suspicion that he was going to propose but I didn't want to get my hopes up because maybe it was just a little weekend getaway.

I knocked on the door because apparently I can't read directions when I'm super excited and nervous. No one answered! I kept knocking then finally let myself in... David greeted me down on one knee. He was wearing the same clothes that he did on our first date, had my favorite flowers, was playing our song, and was holding a box. Of course I started instantly crying and could barely understand what he was saying. And knowing David, it was something beautiful. But I screamed yes and put on the most gorgeous engagement ring I've ever seen.

Our wedding day was amazing. And best of all we got to share it with David's mother who is no longer with us. I remember David holding her up so they could dance together. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.  I thank God for that. I know in my heart that God let her hang on long enough to see her youngest son get married. She also asked me to promise that I would always take care of him and I will never go back on that promise.
David and the little boy who will look up to him forever.

I love this picture! David carried him down the aisle after we said I do and this is the first picture after that.


The first picture of our four beautiful children all together. BLESSED!
To this day I have no idea why God chose to bring this man into my life. David is truly my better half and at times I feel as though I don't deserve him. He has given Christopher the father he never would have had and has given our girls the ultimate role model. He's a kind and loyal friend, a wonderful father, and my husband! Ya hear that ladies? He's mine...

___________________________________________________________________________

Edited to add that David and I had a wonderful kid free meal at Ruth's Chris. My mom came over to watch the babies and we had 2.5 hours alone! It was great.

2 comments: